Monday, March 10, 2014

Oladuski - Russian pankaces


It was time for a Sunday lunch, or brunch, and I was out of ideas. The fridge wasn't too loaded either, so I was kinda almost desperate enough to leave and by some burgers when my friend posted a pancake picture on FB.
We love pancakes of all sorts, and this looked so simple that I barely finished reading the post when the batter was already mixed. I adopted the recipe from Chilly and vanilla. I wanted to make some changes only for practical reasons, to get easier to measure quantities and to add some sparkling water and be able to reduce the baking soda, as I'm not big fun of its taste..

The only problem I had was the size of the portion, well.. in our case it was far from being enough for the family, so I had to make it triple..

Ingredients (makes ~25 small pancakes)
500 ml, 2 cups kefir
50 ml, almost 1/4 cup  sparkling water (just throw a generous dash of sparkling water in) 
1 egg
150 g, 1 cup flour
40 g sugar, 1/4 cup
1 flat tsp baking soda (I added about half a tsp)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup oil, I prefer sunflower oil for frying

Serving
condensed milk mixed with honey
jam
fruits with or without whipped cream
some salty topping like caviar, salmon, cheese etc. that foes well with a sweet pancake

Mix the kefir, egg, and sugar, add flour, and let it rest for 15 minutes. It is easier to work with the batter if the flour had time to soak in some liquid, but if you are in a hurry just skip it and continue with the next step.
Add the sparkling water, mix the lemon juice with the baking soda, the acid will make the soda bubble, and add it to the batter. Stir well and start baking..
Preheat a pan with 2 tsp oil. Reduce heat to medium, add a tbsp of batter and bake for ~3 minutes.
I added 3 portions at a time in my pan. The batter will flatten forming a small pancake of ~8cm (3-3.5 ").
Check the bottom, when nice golden brown use a flat spatula to turn it upside down. You have to be very fast, the batter is still soft. Fry the other side for ~2-3 minutes, and remove the pancakes to a plate covered with kitchen paper.
Clean the pan every now and then and add some additional oil.
Serve with sweet or sour topping, your choice.
It goes better with some sweet topping, but I actually made a mix of sour cream and grated cheese, added a dash of olive oil mixed with Cayenne pepper, mixed lightly, and served the pancakes with a tbsp of the sour cream-cheese-Cayenne pepper-oil mix.
Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment