Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Black sandwich / burger buns


This time just the buns... So I can think ahead if for some burgers for Labor day and have something special.
It is my very first trial, so you can expect to see variations of these, but they look sooooo funny, it will surely be on my "school lunch made fun" list or even some Halloween Party Monster Bun Party :D.

I prepared my usual no knead bread dough, (45o gr flour, 350 ml water, 1 tsp salt and 1 pinch yeast) and let it sit for a day. I thought this would add a bit of sourdough kick to the buns, and sure it did!!

The next day, I added the following ingredients to the mixture.

Ingredients
200 ml lukewarm water (5/6 cup)
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp/tbsp sugar
450 g bread flour (roughly 1 pound)
1 tsp salt
1 1/5 tsp cattlefish ink (squid ink)
100 ml vegetable oil, and business as usual, it was sunflower oil

Proof the yeast in the milk with the sugar sprinkled and lightly mixed in. It takes only 5 minutes.
Mix it together, and add it to the bread dough from the previous day.
Add about 2/3 of the flour and salt, and knead it into a smooth dough.
Gradually pour in the oil, adding the flour spoon by spoon to make it mix well.
Let it rise to at least double, it will take about 1 hour in nice warm house.
Divide the dough in two and let is sit for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile line a tray with parchment paper.
Divide the dough into 10-11 pieces, each, form nice round rolls, and let them sit under a table cloth for additional 10 minutes.
Meanwhile heat up the oven to 400F, 200C.
Place the buns on the upper middle shelf and bake for 12-15 minutes. As they are dark like hell :D is going to be more difficult to see if they are baked, but slightly light brown spots will appear on the top.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with little water, cover with a tablecloth and let the cool down.

My son stole one right away, spread some butter in it and ate it with some ham.. His opinion: "These are very good!" I think I have the buns for tomorrow's morning and lunch.. Yahh!

Obs: Next I'll add little less cattlefish ink as it seemed MORE than black enough for me, and the ink is unbelievable expensive.
I'll also try to add egg in the dough and/or replace the oil with butter. I would like to make them a bit more fluffy, though the spongeous bread consistency wasn't bad at all!
It would also add to the fanciness if I sprinkled some seeds, like sesame seeds :), to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment