Sunday, September 13, 2015

Spaghetti squash - beef patties


The picture is not the best, and I didn't check the quality before khhmmm I ate all of the leftovers from yesterday, so no chance to quickly snap another one, but the patties were delicious!
They were born from the necessity to bring some food over to our neighbor's chili party, and due to many reasons I'm not a Mexican food fun, and haven't tried to make any special chili.

I still wanted to fit somehow in the theme.
Mexican = squash and beans :D, right?
The creative process was kicked out, and thinking that the chili will have enough beans, I opted one of my favorite ingredients: squash!

Not any squash though, I picked the spaghetti squash.. It is a variety that is not known in the Hungarian kitchen, so this was the perfect occasion to give it a try.

Ingredients (serves 4-6 as aperitif)
1 medium spaghetti squash, boiled or microwaved
0.5 pound ground beef meet
2 large eggs
2 flat tbsp flour
large pinch of Mexican smoked medium or spicy paprika powder
1 tsp salt (small)
large pinch of black pepper
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp fresh chopped dill
3 cloves of garlic, smashed or chopped into very-very small pieces

I chose to microwave my squash.
I like it a bit crunchy, so I cut the squash in two, placed the two halves upside down on a larger plate and microwaved for 10 minutes.
Scooped the inside, squeezed the extra juice, and in a small/medium bowl I mixed the squash with the spices, and I added the two eggs.
You can also chop the squash stripes into smaller bits (especially if you have picky eaters who will complain about the squash stripes.
I let them long as is.
Combined all ingredients well.
Let it sit for just few minutes.
Meanwhile added few tbsp of sunflower oil in a frying pan and heated it up.
Scooped small, walnut sized portions into the pan and flattened them with the back of the spoon.
Fried each side on higher medium heat until golden brown, maybe 1-2 minutes / side. (The nice ones were taken to our neighbor's party, these were the ones that were tiny bit browner than ideal, but it's also the light that makes them look browner than they should be).
By the time the egg is fried, the meat reaches the consistency of a medium done steak, juicy and soft.

Serve immediately on it's own as small bites (does not SHOUT for bread), or if you are not a diet person eat them with fresh whole wheat, home made bread (white is great, too) or with a rice side dish of your choice.
Well, the beef patties were
Bonn appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment